Sunday, February 05, 2006

Argh! It's my own dang fault, too...

Pilgrim/Heretic has all the links for the early modern carnival, and has kindly linked to me because of a question I asked about the origins of a certain generally-unmentionable word, a word that I'm avoiding mentioning again lest Google start sending too much of the wrong traffic this way. Lemme give you a hint: Think of the name Bilbo with the Bs replaced by Ds.

Why am I arghing over a link? Because the word that Pilgrim/Heretic used for the link was not my name, nor Unlocked Wordhoard -- instead, it was that unmentionable word, meaning that I'm going to start getting a higher percentage of sleazy traffic around here.

Even worse, I asked my friend who wanted to etymology of the word about the post, and he hadn't even read it! No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. In the future, I'll only be asking the origins of such words as:

virtue
goodness
chastity
constancy
fidelity
modesty
etc...

4 comments:

  1. Oops.

    [desperate attempt to dodge responsibility] It was Sharon who dared me to add that link to the carnival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed. (Although we could see this as our opportunity to inspire the sleazy websurfers of the world with an interest in etymology and history.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was all my fault. I dared her. I am a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick of Nowhere7:15 AM

    Whoops...

    Yes, it was originally my question, but came from a co-worker.

    I note that you are unamused with the carnival attention in spite of it possibly increasing your hits. Personally, I admit that I had a good laugh.

    Secondly, it was noted that I was slandered! (Liabelled? I may have to ask you about this one as well and hope the carnival does not grab it as well.)

    Last, I note you were still unable to answer the question.

    On a more serious note, thank you for the attempt and I am sorry about the unwanted attention. I owe you a beer the next time you are near.

    ReplyDelete