Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Saxon Chronicles

During a telephone conversation with Cyning Meadowcroft today (I'll blog about that in a week or two), he commented on what a shame it is that Hollywood hasn't seen fit to give King Alfred the Great the big epic movie treatment. On a whim, I decided to check YouTube to see if maybe there were Alfred fan films out there ... and there were!

I found the trailers for The Saxon Chronicles, which was apparently shot in two weeks for $10,000. Considering those constraints, the trailers looked pretty good. I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately, the website for the production company seems to be defunct, and the similarly named Saxon: The Saxon Chronicles appears to be a video for a metal band called "Saxon." I'd really like to lay hands on a copy of this. Do any Wordhoarders know how I might get ahold of it?

The two trailers are below.

2 comments:

  1. Although this doesn't have anything to do with the post above (sorry!) I wanted to let you know about this and couldn't find any other means of doing so.

    Egil's Saga is being adapted into an extremely impressive and unique looking animated film. You can find out more about it at this website:

    http://cine.hu/egill/site/

    ...and at this article at Twitch, which references it:

    http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/beware-the-viking-poet-fresh-footage-from-gauders-egill-online/

    I just thought you might enjoy seeing that. I for one think it looks magnificent!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Hemmings isn't big enough? I remember seeing Alfred the Great as a kid.

    ReplyDelete