- Jeff Sypeck gives a positive report on his mini-trebuchet.
- Sypeck also has a "Best-of" round-up from 2007.
- In the Middle has a "Best-of" round-up too, helpful organized by poster.
- Highly Eccentric reports on Roger Bacon's Mega Ray of Death.
- Michelle of Heavenfield tagged me in a meme, which I'm not so much ignoring as responding to very slowly.
- She also gives us this picture of St. Genevieve in a boat filled with giant sausages, flipping people off on the shore.
- I've missed two Weird Medieval Animals during my blogging lacuna, the hydrus and the Cynocephali tribe.
- BBC tells us that medieval diets were healthier. If so, that's a happy coincidence. Without refrigeration, the diets were whatever grew within a reasonable distance. h/t Per Omnia Saecula.
*That's X-mas, with an inside joke for medievalists, who know that X-mas was not a proto-Festivus aggressive secularization of Christmas, but was instead a typical scribal abbreviation of "Christ" in manuscripts, with the Greek Chi-Rho (which I can't figure out how to reproduce in Blogger) truncated down to "X".