- Magister et Mater discusses the relative prestige levels of the study of medieval history in the UK.
- Speaking of medieval history, Michelle from Heavenfield complains that there's even less medieval history in this year's CfP for Kalamazoo. The session I agreed to do this time just got cancelled, so I have to decide what, if anything, I want to present.
- The Medieval History Term of the Week is tenement.
- Over at Heroic Dreams, Will runs across a beautiful little book of songs by Tolkien.
- Eileen Joy gets a jump on Leeds by starting her gender discussion sooner rather than later.
- Over at The Naked Philologist, Highly Eccentric takes me to task for this post (and coming soon, this post), and calls me "elderly" and "inherently sexist." The nice thing about being elderly like me is people dismiss my sexism as just the way things were back in my day. You know, before the Depression.
- Anthromama asks if she can be my fangirl -- what exactly would a fangirl for a medieval literature professor do? Throw her hotel room key at the podium after my lectures? Hold up signs reading "Magister Nokes = Snotor?" Travel around from conference to conference with other fangirls in a psychedelic Volkswagen Westfalia, selling offprints of my old articles to pay for registration fees? OK, sounds good to me!
- Medievalists did pretty well in the Top 100 Liberal Arts Professor Blogs. In addition to the Wordhoard, also included were Cronaca, The Age of Perfection, Another Damned Medievalist, Dame Eleanor Hull, Korncrake (hilarious, but isn't it defunct?), The Cranky Professor, Janice Liedl, Squadratomagico, and Michael Drout got in twice, for Anglo-Saxon Aloud and Wormtalk and Slugspeak. Hooray, us! I'm wondering if a lot of the other fine medievalist blogs out there weren't included because we already account for 10% of the list, 'cause, let's face it, if it were an even playing field, we'd hold upwards of half the list!
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Morning Medieval Miscellany
Here are a few of the medieval offers of the blog-o-inter-web-net-sphere-thingy on this day: