Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Nest Christmas Party

Warning: Non-Medieval Content Ahead




As some of you will recall, my Cub Scout den raised money to bring Christmas to The Nest, a children's group home in Kenya. The boys did yard work to earn the money (raking leaves, picking up sticks and pine cones, collecting pecans, etc) in an attempt to meet their goal of $200. By the time all was said and done, they raised $275!



You can find other photos of Christmas at The Nest here, and you can read a more detailed account of the party here.


One of the Bear Cubs was shocked to hear that having meat for dinner is a luxury for some people, and said he suddenly felt rich when he heard there were kids for whom a Coke is a special treat. I think all the boys were left with a greater appreciation of everything that they have, and also a sense that the Boy Scouts isn't just about camping; the Cub Scout Promise to "do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people, and to obey the Law of the Pack" means something very real.

Bear Cubs Colin Jones, Quinten Pouncy, and Orion Nokes did their best, and did their duty to help other people. I'm proud of them.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see this.

    Sigh, I remember when Coke was a special treat in the US of A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:24 PM

    All depends how you live your life, I guess!

    I swear I'm not trying to be holier than thou, but a Coke is still a special treat to me -- though I have to admit I do have the choice to have one whenever I want, I usually only do once a week or so.

    ReplyDelete