Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Is it safe?

I probably shouldn't find this as funny as I do, but the comments responding to this article about me in ACTA Online are focused almost entirely on someone taking offense at the "About Me" section of this blog, "A professor of medieval literature at Troy University, Dr. Nokes enjoys reading, film, and torturing students." At first I thought the objection was that one should not joke about torture (a reasonable position, I think), but instead it appears that the poster is suggesting that outsiders will believe that I literally* torture students.

I invite my students to offer testimonials describing the torments that await one in my classes!

* Er, by "literally," I mean physically torture students, not torture them with literature, because I'm sure some students would claim that I did the latter.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 AM

    I was going to make a pun about the "literally/physically" part, but now that I'm here...

    I've had a two semesters with Dr. Nokes (and soon it will be three) and yes, he does torture his students. Luckily, it's only the students who have more than the allotted absences and have not turned in their papers on TurnItIn.com because the "don't know how."

    At least he allows the student to pick the Medieval torture weapon. My suggesting is to go with the cat-o-nine tails; I have heard other students say the healing time with that in much less than, say, the flail or rack.

    (And let he who does not understand a "joke" be turned away with ridicule and shame.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people simply lack a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete