Here are some things you might have missed in your turkey-induced coma:
- Gary Kamiya compared Lord of the Rings and the Zemeckis Beowulf, and found the latter lacking. h/t Quod She
- Weird Medieval Animal Monday continued with "The Bear."
- JLJ also sent us to the Grendel Drawing Project.
- Highly Eccentric examined the difference between wordhoard and wordhorde.
- Heavenfield had a review of Beowulf, but has also had a string of posts on Anglo-Saxon history recently.
- Stephen T. Asma has a review in the Chronicle of Higher Ed arguing that the new Beowulf is a liberal guilt-trip. Unfortunately, it's behind a subscriber firewall, so only we professorly-types out there will be able to read it. I wrote an article on the same subject entitled “Teaching Grendel as a Villain in a Post-Modern Age.” Alabama English 14 (2004): 6-17. In your face, Asma! I stole your thunder three years ago!