Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Areopagus Lectures

I'll be speaking at the Areopagus Lectures at Florida Christian College this Saturday, February 9th. If you'll be in the Kissimmee/Orlando area, you can register here.

The Agenda:

8:00 - 9:00 Breakfast and welcome
9:00 - 10:00 "Why Myth Matters," Prof. Greg Hartley
10:00 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 11:15 "Lies I Tell My Daughter: Christian Myth in Modern Culture," Me
11:15 - 11:30 Break
11:30 - 12:30 " Mythology and Neo-Paganism," Prof. Brian D. Smith
1:30 - 1:30 Lunch with presenters (ain't you lucky? That's "with presenters!")
1:30 - 2:30 "John, Revelation, and the Myth of the Divine Emperor," Dr. Les Hardin
2:30 - 2:45 Break
2:45 - 3:45 "The Warrior Christ: Myth and Masculinity in Depictions of Jesus," Me again
3:45 - 4:00 Closing

My topics are far more medieval than the titles suggest. In the first address, I'll talk about Tertullian, Juliana, and St. Guinefort; in the second, I'll talk about Gregory the Great, Augustine (of Canterbury), Norse mythology, and the Dream of the Rood.

Don't worry, this won't be too hoity-toity -- I'm writing my papers so that a reasonably smart high school graduate can follow them. Actually, that's why I've been blogging so irregularly lately; it takes more effort for me to write easily-understandable papers for oral presentation than it does to write in the mode of Eliade or Frye, so I've been working hard to make this stuff understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment