Sunday, February 03, 2008

Google Toolbar, How I Hate Thee

NON-MEDIEVAL RANT AHEAD

Somehow the Google toolbar got installed on my computer over the last two days. I say "somehow" because I certainly didn't put it there. My best guess is that one of my children accidentally installed it, though it's possible that I accidentally installed it myself, since the dang thing is insidiously bundled with every other thing you might possibly download. I've probably unchecked that "also install Google Toolbar" button about a dozen times since the beginning of the year.

Finally it got on my computer, so I decided to give it a chance. I needn't have wasted my time. It adds another toolbar to the top of my computer, so that the top 20% of my monitor space is toolbars. Incidentally, the Google toolbar offers not one single service I have any need for. Even the Google search box is redundant, since I keep my Internet Explorer search box set for Google anyway.

So what is it that finally made my head explode? Norton Internet Security very nicely (and silently!) blocks popups for me. Google has decided that it too will help out by blocking popups. The problem is that whenever Google blocks a popup, they make a little noise and give me a popup bragging about how they blocked a popup!

Google! Stop being evil!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Hey, do what I did -- stopped using computers entirely. I now write all my computer programs down on paper and get someone else to type them in. It's surreal, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:34 AM

    Firefox is super, you can have google and hundreds of other search engines,go to http://mycroft.mozdev.org/
    In the entry blank you can search for search engines you know or enter simple words like news,books,recipes,etc. and build your personal searches listing. Then you may enter your search form then look on multiple platforms for various answers. I also use langenberg.com for great search forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:23 PM

    you still use internet explorer? gross!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:15 AM

    I am http://users.otenet.gr/~tvradio

    I hate all toolbars, especcially google-toolbar. Many programs we want to install , and it asks all time to install google toolbar.

    ---Hey teacher ...--(google)----
    We don't need more Norton secure.
    We don't need more Rub toolbars.
    Because they want to spy us
    and to advertize us.

    Hey Google, take this from me...
    It's a simple way blocking your advertize.
    http://users.otenet.gr/~tvradio/hosts.zip

    We don't need you to pay us
    to install goog toolbar.
    -----------------

    ReplyDelete