Saturday, July 30, 2005

Dr. Hawkins, Tear Down This Wall!

Well, OK, it might not be quite Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" speech, but in Troy University news we've been in the process of tearing down our own Berlin Wall. When I was hired at Troy, it was the Troy State University system, with the various campuses more-or-less independent, having separate curricula and accreditation. This often created absurd situations. One very common one was that if a student took American Literature at one Troy State campus, the credits didn't transfer to the other campuses.

As of August 1st, the Troy State University system will be no more, replaced by Troy University. Each campus will simply be a separate location of the same university. The transition has sometimes been difficult, but I for one am glad for it. I think the change was overdue -- so kudos to the trustees and administrators who led the way on this one.

One small problem -- I had to learn to stop putting "State" in the middle of "Troy State University." It was difficult for me, but I succeeded so well in finally eradicating it that I find myself accidentally removing "State" from other phrases in which it should be. One example is my graduate school, Wayne State University, which I now call "Wayne University" unless I concentrate on saying it right.

[One more note -- I have a general guideline that I don't post most Troy University news to the blog. This is mostly because I'm afraid if I start praising certain decisions or events, if later I neglect to praise another decision it could be read as a criticism. In this case, however, I thought it a significant enough moment in the life of Troy University to break with my own rule. Now, back to our regular broadcast schedule.]

No comments:

Post a Comment