Friday, July 08, 2005

Last place! *weeps uncontrollably*

I notice I'm in last place for linked academic blogs in The Truth Laid Bear Academy Community. Just one question -- what's the deal with all the law and politics academic bloggers? Given just how much more we read and write in any given day, you'd think there'd be more good literary academic bloggers. Of course, there are some, but the field seems dominated by law and politics guys.

It reminds me of the Clinton perjury scandal, when he famously (and weakly) dodged his obvious lie by saying "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is." I recall seeing the airwaves clogged with legal and political types -- but I don't remember seeing any English professors called upon to say things like "if you don't know what 'is' means, you aren't a native speaker of English" or "Harrumph. Well, you see, the word 'is' has a complicated history, so no one really knows what it means..."

No comments:

Post a Comment