Monday, July 11, 2005

Wise Blood

I finished reading Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood late last night, and I was struck by my reaction to it.

Some authors have a way of inspiring me to write. Sometimes I'll read someone and think, yes, this writing is good! I'd love to produce something similar.

Other writers cause me to despair. I think, wow, this is so good, I could never hope to produce anything of value. I ought to give up all forms of writing.

Flannery O'Connor is in the latter category. I was able to write today only through willing myself to do so. Even producing something so pedestrian as a Facts on File entry (which is what I was working on) seemed impossible.

I'm sure creative writers must experience this all the time. I wonder if there isn't some term for this quality in a writer that either encourages or discourages other writers. If not, I think I ought to be one.

1 comment:

  1. Yep--it seems to be a nearly universal writer's malady.

    (Followed the link from Digital Medievalist, and am enjoying your entries very much, btw.)

    ReplyDelete