Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Arthurian Lit Class

For those Troy students who read this blog, there has been a change in schedule. I will now be teaching Arthurian Literature (ENG 3362 TSARA, technically called "Arthurian Themes" or something similar) in the Fall semester, TTh 11:30.

I haven't finalized the schedule, but we'll probably split it between medieval and modern Arthuriana, so the tentative reading list is expected to include:
  • Geoffrey of Monmouth, History of the Kings of Britain
  • Tennyson, Idylls of the King (maybe)
  • Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
  • White, Once and Future King
  • Sklar, King Arthur in Popular Culture (a critical text)
  • Chretien de Troyes's Romances
  • Malamud's The Natural (maybe)
  • Excalibur (film, maybe)
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail (film)
All this is subject to change, of course. I have already decided that there will be no Malory or Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, mostly because life is short and I prefer Chretien to Malory, and because everyone gets SGGK in Brit Lit I, and often in World Lit I too.

In any case, the class wasn't on the schedule for early registration, so please spread the word that it will be offered.

8 comments:

  1. I wanna take it, I wanna take it! Congrats on the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:58 PM

    I would, but I'm already in two of your classes this fall. There's only so much I could take without my head asploding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should institute some sort of "frequent scholar" deal, like you get a free soft drink with every two classes you take from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:05 PM

    An Exempt From One Paper Free card would be nice. As my husband would say, though, wish in one hand and shit in the other. Watch which one fills up faster....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see...if I were visiting Alabama, for a semester, I would attempt to audit your class. And if I had an extra $550.00, I would by this book by one of my undergrad professors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christian,

    Maybe I'll add that book to the reading list. Oh yeah ... over $600 worth of books. That would make me the most popular professor ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bubu,

    I tried the experiment your husband suggested, and I was not happy with the results...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, guys, let's play nice. I don't want to have to delete more comments.

    ReplyDelete