Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Big Beowulf Bash

Here's the press release for my Big Beowulf Bash:
Troy University English Department’s MediEvolution Project and Sigma Tau Delta are proud to announce the “Big Beowulf Bash,” coming to HAL Hall of Honor on Saturday, November 17th at 4PM. The event will include a public discussion of Beowulf in literature, movies, television, and comic books. It will also include other fun events such as a trivia contest and prizes. The event is suitable for all ages and is open to the public.

Basically, the event will open with a public discussion (all PowerPointy and non-boring) by me about the history of Beowulf adaptations in popular culture. After that, we'll have a college-bowl style competition between two local schools (if I can nail down firm commitments from them), followed by some fun contests -- probably a dramatic reading contest and a trivia contest. So far, we've had prizes donated by WW Norton and Alexis Fajardo of Kid Beowulf, and I'm hoping to get a little something from another company as well. If anyone out there has Beowulf-themed merchandise they are trying to promote, send me your free stuff before the event and I'll give you a plug when we're giving out your prizes.

Yes, Neil Gaiman, you're invited. We don't have funding for airfare, but you're welcome to crash in my guest room.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, sir! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome to come too, Swain ... but if Gaiman shows up as well, you two will have to share the double bed in my guest room.

    ReplyDelete