Thursday, July 17, 2008

Trivial Posting

I haven't posted much the last few days because I've been on the road and running errands a lot recently. Tomorrow I'll be doing so again, so probably no real substantive posting for a while. A few bits and pieces while my Miscellany list grows beyond control:
  • One of the most interesting bits about the SCA weekend was that I met an Odinist, which was interesting because I have been doing a lot of research lately on the connections between certain kinds of Odinists and neo-Nazis. Odinists seem to run the political gamut from extreme environmental left to, well, Nazis. Alas, this fellow was isolated by geography from his "Kindred" (somehow, whenever he said it, I heard the capital K), and seemed kind of apolitical, so I wasn't able to get any fresh insight.
  • On the other hand, at the same gathering I met a man who was a mazer* and a vintner, but in order to avoid bootlegging laws, he was unable to sell his brew ... he had to give it away for free. We helped him out with his little problem, and it was some fine mead and wine!
  • I got together with Carl Pyrdum for lunch. A really low-key, cool guy who knows how to have fun. As I told a friend, "He likes the stuff that I like, and hates the stuff that I hate, so that's all I need to know to make a moral judgment about him." Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera with me, so I have no pictures of him to share.
  • Also, one partial victory: Someone recently told me that, inspired by my interview on Chivalry Today, he started reading Connecticut Yankee. A complete victory would have been if he had started reading Arthurian lit, but I'll take what I can get.
  • I was recently asked to write a piece for a not-yet-existing periodical. They asked me for one thing, but I'm thinking maybe about seeing if they'll take a piece on Boethius instead. Nothing sells subscriptions like Boethius!
OK, it's 1AM here, I've got a 12-14 hour drive tomorrow, and I'm still sitting at my computer. More evidence that having a PhD doesn't make you smart.

*A mazer is someone who makes mead. No, I didn't know that either, but I looked it up after he called himself that. You'd think a mazer is someone who kills minotaurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment