Monday, August 23, 2010

Chaucer-Themed Cruise

In the film Tenure (the 2009 comedy, not the 2007 film of the same title), the department chair is telling her colleagues of the "Chaucer-themed Caribbean cruise" she went on.

Just as I was thinking, "Aw, cool!" they had to go and spoil it. As the scene fades out, she's heard to say, "And of course the captain spoke absolutely flawless Old English..."

*sigh*

Add to that disappointment that I immediately went online to see if there were such a thing as a Chaucer-themed Caribbean cruise, but I found none. Now, an Old English-themed cruise would be pretty exciting, what with the potential for Viking issues.

3 comments:

  1. I remember a 1960s film review in which John Simon smacks a film for making the same mistake: a child prodigy is said to be able to recite flawless Old English, and then proceeds to intone something in Middle English. Perhaps it was The Sandpiper, with Burton and Taylor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:23 PM

    On the Old English cruise, they make you stir the ice-cold sea with your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the Chaucer themed cruise. A friend of mine and I went on one last year. We were offered our choice of the Wife of Bath's suite during the day when all the guests were having fun, or at night when everyone was asleep. My friend, to his dismay, selected the Wife of Bath's suite during the day and had to share time with a warty woman who snored.

    I, being wiser, told the hostess that I would accept whatever she deemed best. I spent the rest of the journey in the company of a lovely woman in the Honeymoon suite.

    ReplyDelete