Monday, May 01, 2006

You Know You're a Textual Scholar When...

... you're channel surfing, flip past the Discovery channel, and in that split second you recognize the image as the first page of the Beowulf manuscript.

Me: Hey, that was the Beowulf manuscript!
Jason: How can you tell?
Me: Well, it was Old English, and I recognized the initial "H".
Jason: What?
Me: The big "H" at the beginning. I recognized it.
Jason: *looks at me with a mixture of contempt and pity*

Gads, what a geek I am.


  1. Other than "Textual Scholar" or "Philologist" is there another single word used for someone who studies manuscripts?



  2. Actually, neither "textual scholar" nor "philologist," strictly speaking, means someone who studies old manuscripts. The proper term is "palographer," and the field is called "paleography." I avoid using the term paleography in the Wordhoard, though, because most people don't know what it means.