Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Morning Medieval Miscellany

This Miscellany is brought to you courtesy of about 70 ungraded composition papers. I just haven't the heart.
  • A Commonplace Book has accounts of two different 15th-century fights. OK, technically not just two fights, but there are two posts, anyway.
  • Got Medieval tells of the spiritual dangers of produce, and an Mmm...Marginalia involving monkeys.
  • Heavenfield discusses Rhun ap Urien of Rheged, who apparently was important in both the history of Northumbria, and in the annals of "Dudes with Weird Names."
  • The Weird Medieval Animal of the Week is the pelican, and after reading about that bird you may understand better why it's on the Louisiana state flag as a tribute to the sacrificial character of the residents.
  • I'm submitting a paper to the first session listed here ... when I get around to turning the full paper into an abstract. Am I the only one that finds that harder than going the other direction?
  • Heroic Dreams not only has a post about a catapult, but also has two mead-making videos and a list of many more! Anyone who becomes a budding mazer from watching these owes me a finder's fee of one bottle.
  • In the Middle has a post about queer movie medievalism.
  • Nic D'Alessio has a post building on the comments of this ITM post. I really need to get around to posting about that.
  • Medieval Material Culture Blog has an update with exhibits all over the place ... but sadly, none near me.
  • Modern Medieval has a job posting for "Medieval Peninsular or Spanish American Colonial Studies." Get get that job, medievalists!
  • I'm still trying to figure out if this is or is not a good way to pick up women. I'm thinking it might not be a good method, but at least screens for the right kind of women.
  • Dr. Virago has a discussion about what medievalists look like. My silly comments aside, it is obvious: They look like us.
  • Despite my dislike for the series (both book and film), here's a link to a post about the latest Harry Potter film.
  • The Medieval Historical Fiction Novel of the Week is Ann Baer's Down the Common: A Year in the Life of a Medieval Woman. Steven Till also has a post about today (er, yesterday) in medieval history, and one explaining the Canonical Hours. Though the latter is not strictly medieval, that's the kind of background a good protestant boy like me had to study before understanding what was going on in some medieval texts. Even non-ecclesiastical texts tend to talk about the time of day in terms of the canonical division of hours.
  • Magistra et Mater has more about Hincmar. I need to go back and read all those posts carefully ... they seem really interesting, but I've been skimming them due to lack of time. It seems to me they deserve more attention.
Finally, I cannot begin to tell you how happy the very existence of Anglo-Saxon Aloud: Greatest Hits makes me. I only wish Michael Drout were two people so he could issue a reunion album in a few years.

1 comment:

  1. Actually Rhun ap Urien has quite a common name. Another famous Rhun was King Rhun ap Maelgwn Gwynedd. 'ap' means 'of', as in 'son of'. 'Ap' or 'map' functions like 'mac' among the Irish and Scots, like Aedan mac Gabran. Early medievalists tend to use ap or mac in names for simplicity and to reduce confusion since so many more Celtic names have survived. There are several Rhuns and Aedans in the historical record, but only one Rhun ap Urien and only one Aedan mac Gabran.

    ReplyDelete