Monday, December 08, 2008

Cædmon's Hymn Project

I hope you all like these videos as much as I do. They're partly a project for my Old English class, and partly the interest of other students. The first video is Cædmon's Hymn in Old English (the normalized West Saxon version found in Pope's Eight Old English Poems), and the second is a modern English translation.





Original lyrics by Cædmon, inspiration by God. Modern English translation by Erin Murray; music and performance by Clay Paramore, and piano by Laura Aaron.

By the way, I promised Erin that she would get extra credit if she could get a hundred views before I calculate their grades on Tuesday, so I'm sure she'd appreciate it if you'd watch it more than once! Also, high praise for Clay, who wasn't doing it for a grade -- he just wanted to do something cool.

6 comments:

  1. BAM.
    100 in an hour.

    clay also posted a blooper reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeogv9VUAE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:00 PM

    I sure hope you have enough extra credit to share with the rest of the class...=P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah. Did you notice how many classes I missed?

    I might actually pass now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin: best blooper reel ever.

    This really is awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:48 PM

    Nah, didn't notice. I was too busy COMING TO CLASS. BA-ZING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant.

    I posted a link on my blog...hope that's not a problem. This needs to be shared with the world!

    ReplyDelete